Update: click here to send a Mama’s Day Card to President Obama! Let him know you support ALL families.
To request a media interview or background information about women and immigration, please contact Camino PR at 212-255-2575 or click here to send us an email.
Table of contents
- Stories of Immigrant Women
- Immigrant Women in the News
- Links to resources and experts
- Press Releases, Statements and Opinion
- Quick Facts About Women and Immigration
- What’s Happening on Immigration: Latest News and Opinions
- Media Contact
“illegal alien invader” who has a “child on our soil”
— description of women immigrants during recent immigration debates
“Instead of focusing on real problems facing America, it is telling that these lawmakers have made targeting women and babies their first act of the new year,”
—- Miriam Yeung, NCIWR in response to attacks on citizenship
Women, immigration and citizenship
Critics of immigrants have launched a full-scale advocacy campaign of fear and resentment about immigrant women and their families. Misconstruing basic facts about immigration and using phrases like “lawless destructive anarchy of invasion,” “anchor babies,” and illegal alien invader,” anti-family, anti-immigrant lawmakers are advocating legislation at the state and federal level that would deny citizenship laws.
The National Coalition for Immigrant Women’s Rights (NCIWR) is the only national collaboration to specifically focus on women and gender issues in the public discourse on immigration. We work to elevate women’s voices and push back against dehumanizing attacks. The coalition represents more than 40 leading organizations with a presence nationally and in every state.
Campaign principles: women, immigration and citizenship
- We condemn any actions that vilify or dehumanize women, – often especially directed at women of color – and mothers, by calling them “invaders”, “aliens” and similar terms.
- Strong families are the foundation of successful communities. We oppose policies that unnecessarily separate families. We champion policies that support families and improve the health, education and well-being of all children.
- The 14th amendment is one of the great civil rights achievements in American history. Our groups stand united in its original purpose to prevent discrimination in all forms.
- Immigrants have always helped strengthen the very fabric of America, and they continue to do so today.
- We condemn policy movements that attempt to target women and their children as a remedy to xenophobic distrust and hatred of certain racial groups, religions or people from a certain geographic origin, which is antithetical to core American values.